Return to: Academic Services and Enrollment Policies
Graduation Under a Particular Catalog
Within five years of initial enrollment in credit courses at Brazosport College, students may graduate according to the catalog requirements in effect at the time of first enrollment or any subsequent catalog provided the requisite courses are still being offered. Students who do not complete the program requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of initial enrollment within five years will be required to graduate under the current catalog or one of the previous four catalogs. For example, as of the publishing of this catalog, the available catalogs are as follows: 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017 and 2017-2018.
Bachelor of Applied Technology Degree
Minimum Graduation Requirements:
- Satisfactory completion of at least 120 semester credit hours of coursework, of which at least 45 must be completed at Brazosport College.
- Completion of the General Education Core Curriculum (42 credit hours).
- Completion of two science labs corresponding to Core science courses (2 hours).
- Completion of at least 43 credit hours in 3000 level courses or above, of which at least 30 must be completed at Brazosport College.
- Completion of all program of study requirements with a minimum 2.0 grade point average on all coursework attempted and on all courses within the major (4.0 scale).
- Formally apply for graduation during the first nine weeks of the semester in which they intend to graduate.
- Meet all of their financial obligations to the college.
See Baccalaureate Degree Programs for specific Bachelor of Applied Technology graduation requirements.
Associate Degrees - General Graduation Requirements
To graduate under this catalog, students must fulfill the following requirements:
- Meet entrance requirements of Brazosport College.
- Earn at least 60 semester hours of college-level credit including the courses outlined in a specific degree plan.
- Earn at least 24 semester hours of credit at Brazosport College.
- Earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all courses applied to the degree as well as an overall grade point average of 2.0 on all courses attempted. A higher GPA requirement may be established for specific programs.
- Formally apply for graduation by the due date published by the Registrar’s Office in the semester in which they intend to graduate. Earlier applications will be accepted. Late applicants will be considered for completion in the following semester.
- Meet all of their financial obligations to the college.
- Satisfactorily complete all Texas Success Initiative requirements and be at college-level in reading, writing, and mathematics. For more information on TSI see Admission Standards .
Associate of Arts Degree
In addition to the general graduation requirements previously listed, students must successfully complete the Brazosport College Core Curriculum, two science laboratories corresponding to core science coures, and 16 semester hours of academic electives for a minimum of 60 semester hours.
Associate of Science Degree
In addition to the general graduation requirements previously listed, students must successfully complete the Brazosport College Core Curriculum, two science laboratories corresponding to core science coures, eight additional semester hours of laboratory science* (for a total of 16 semester hours of natural science including the core), and eight semester hours of academic electives for a minimum of 60 semester hours.
* Choose two courses (with corresponding labs) not already used toward the core requirement such as:
CHEM 1305 , CHEM 1311 , CHEM 1312 , CHEM 2323 , CHEM 2325
PHYS 1301 , PHYS 1302 , PHYS 2325 , PHYS 2326
BIOL 1306 , BIOL 1307 , BIOL 2301 , BIOL 2302 , BIOL 2320
ENVR 1301 , ENVR 1302
Associate of Arts in Teaching Degree
In addition to the general graduation requirements previously listed, the Associate of Arts in Teaching Degree is awarded to students who successfully complete one of the three curricula under the Associate of Arts in Teaching (AAT) Program.
Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Associate of Applied Science Degree is awarded to students who successfully complete an approved curriculum for a two-year workforce education program in addition to satisfying the general associate degree requirements. To qualify for an Associate of Applied Science degree at Brazosport College, at least 50 percent of the courses in the program field that are shown in the curriculum plan for the third and Fourth Semesters must be completed at Brazosport College.
In extraordinary circumstances, students can request a deviation from these requirements in writing. The deviation must be endorsed by the student’s advisor and the appropriate division chair, recommended by the Curriculum and Instruction Committee, and approved by the President.
Students may be awarded either the Associate of Arts degree or the Associate of Science degree, but not both. Students who were initially awarded an Associate of Arts in Teaching degree may not afterward be awarded an Associate of Arts degree or an Associate of Science degree.
To receive multiple Associate of Applied Science degrees from Brazosport College, students must successfully complete all courses required in the plan for their second degree (which must be in a different major) and at least 15 semester credit hours of additional work at Brazosport College.
Upon application by students, a certificate of completion is awarded to students who successfully fulfill the requirements of a terminal program of less than two years’ duration and earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all courses applied to the certificate. At least fifty percent of the course work required for a certificate must be completed at Brazosport College. Students are not eligible for certificates in programs in which they have previously received degrees.
A student may earn one basic certificate, one advance certificate and one Associate of Applied Science degree within the same major. A student cannot earn multiple certificates within the same major.
Coursework completed at another regionally accredited college may be transferred in to satisfy degree/certificate requirements at Brazosport College. Coursework transferred must be substantially equivalent to the Brazosport College courses required for the degree/certificate, as determined by Brazosport College. Courses with a letter grade of C or better transfer for the corresponding number of semester hours.